Saturday, 7 May 2011

Home School Curriculum Planner and Record Keeping System

Home School Curriculum Planner and Record Keeping System:

"Having been a homeschooler for 12 years, and realizing that I was spending way too much time each day scheduling lessons, I decided that I needed a better way to organize my children's school work."

My schedule is very erratic (because I work part time outside the home), so it was nearly impossible to plan my school year before the year started but I wanted to accomplish that goal.

How could I know what lessons to assign on Sept. 27th or Jan. 19th? Was is even possible to plan that far ahead? What if they missed some school days and ruined my schedule?

I had a determination to plan my children's home school lessons so, every year, I would conduct the same ritual. I would find the resources I wanted to use, assign lessons to the calendar, and know in my heart that this year was going to be different than all of the others. This year, we will be able to stay on target.

Each year I would move ahead with my new and improved plans but because I was using the same imperfect methods, as expected, my whole year would fall apart not long after we implemented it. Because of the stress this would cause for myself and my children, each time this happened, I would throw out the old calendar and start a new calendar where we left off. It would be two months into the new school year and here I would be making lesson plans. This same ritual usually occurred at least two or three times every school year.

NO MORE! I made the decision that I had to re-think the method I was using to organize my children's curriculum. At this point I became determined to design a system in which I could use my favorite curriculum but also work with our homeschooling model.

The result - A system that works perfectly for any homeschool family even though each family has different curriculum choices and teaching methods.

No comments: